In association with ABChapri Retreats, we’re giving away a special gift this summer for the winner of our travel contest. The winner and a companion of choice will win a slow travel experience that includes a night at Neeleshwar Hermitage in North Kerala followed by a magical night stay onboard ‘The Lotus’ houseboat that cruises on the beautiful Thejaswini River in Malabar.The prize also includes all meals aboard the houseboat, breakfast & dinner at the resort, an ayurvedic massage for two, and unlimited fruits/tea/coffee – all worth INR 60,000.
[Update]: This contest is now closed. Scroll down to learn who won!
How To Enter The Contest
- Complete the sentence: “To me, ‘Responsible Travel’ means _________” as a comment on the blog ‘A Luxurious Weekend Getaway to Offbeat Kerala: Neeleshwar Hermitage’ in the word range of 50 to 100. You can also send your answers via email to: ‘email@example.com‘. Read further to find more about how to create your answer.
- Like AB Chapri Retreats and Beyond The Wall on Facebook
- Share the post on any social media platform of your choice.
- Brownie points for those who also follow us on Instagram (Shameless self-promotion plug).
- Voila! You’re in with a chance! Winners will be announced on Instagram and Facebook on April 15th.
- Contest ends on 14th April 11:59 PM IST
You get this
- One night stay at any one of the villas at Neeleshwar Hermitage Resort
- Complimentary Breakfast of choice at the restaurant ‘Annapurna’
- Fresh Seasonal Fruits at the Hermitage throughout the day
- Special Hermitage morning bed tea/coffee of your choice
- One Ayurvedic Massage per person at the award-winning spa ‘Priya’ at the Hermitage
- Dinner at restaurant ‘Annapurna’ during your day of stay at the resort
- A complimentary Yoga class at the resort
- One night stay on the Houseboat ‘Lotus’ – 12 PM on Day 2 to 9 AM Day 3
- The Houseboat cruise involves all three meals: breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Unfortunately, you don’t get this
- Any other meal other than the complimentary breakfast and exclusive dinner offered by Neeleshwar Hermitage
- Flight/train cost to arrive at the resort
- Any expense that is personal in nature like shopping
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Pick up and drop cost
- Any activities that the winners undertake additionally
Things to keep in mind
- Top 3 answers will be selected based on the creativity, understanding of responsible tourism and wittiness poured into the comments. Basically, your answer will be judged on the basis of how far you can go to create a motivating statement that lets us know how you feel about Responsible Tourism. It can be serious, grim, humorous or any genre you feel comfortable with. Feel free to style your words into a poem, song or free verse.
- The writers of the top three answers will go into a draw to select be the final winner.
- The runners-up get a special gift from Divya and Vikas: the next time you plan a trip, ask us to create a detailed, personalised itinerary for you that includes a selection of offbeat locations, cheap flight deals, budget tips, stay options and suggestions on food.
- The winners will have to confirm their acceptance of the prize within one week via email. In the absence of any confirmatory email from you, the prize will be passed on to one of the runners up (selected by a draw)
- The opportunity is non-transferable. This means that only the winner and a declared companion can travel on this package. It cannot be handed over to anybody else.
- The winner will have to choose the dates of stay in mutual agreement with the property, keeping them informed at least 60 days in advance.
- ABChapri Retreats reserves full right to cancel the stay should there be any inappropriate behaviour from the part of the winner.
Thank you all for your participation. We received over 50 entries for the contest from all parts of India and abroad. After careful consideration, we’ve decided to award this opportunity to PARU RAMESH (@paru311 on Instagram). To Paru, this is what ‘responsible travel’ meant:
“To me, responsible travel is about adding to the adventure, not taking away from it. To leave behind your ego, pre conceived notions, biscuit packets, beer bottles, and loud music but instead be there in the moment. Not for the video you make or the selfies you’ll take, but for the memories you make for yourselves and that you’ll leave behind in the minds of others”
Paru also designed a wonderful infographic to share her idea of responsible travel. Her creativity and out-of-the-box thinking got us. Paru, congrats! We’re incredibly excited for you to make the best of this opportunity. We’ll be looking forward to your pictures and stories from your time at Neeleshwar.
While each of you had beautiful thoughts to share, there were a couple of other responses that struck a chord with us.
- Madhumita Subramanian, who says “To travel with responsibility is to walk with a heart filled with empathy. It’s the exploration of the external landscape that cultivates an aura of non judgmental awareness in the internal canvas. Throwing oneself into situations that push you to question your dogmas, beliefs, and way of life is the act of a true wanderer. An ego effacing journey that throttles you to shed your identity and instead experience oneness, the spirit of vasudev kutumbakam or unbuntu is the ultimate responsibility of a traveller“
- Aloma Rego, who says “Responsible travel to me is like a big interactive museum; you go, you learn, you immerse yourself in the culture of the place and truly experience it without taking away from the space, environment or local community or spoiling it for the others who would follow you there.“
Madhumita & Aloma, thank you for sharing your thoughts as well. To share our love, we’d love to send you a very small gift that we hope you’ll like. We’ll be in touch with you about the same.
We’re thankful to each of you who took time out to share your thoughts. We’re sorry that we can’t have all of you get this opportunity but we promise to bring you more such opportunities in the times to come. Do follow our travels to be updated about further contests. Once again, thank you so much for taking part!